Friday, March 23, 2012

Still the Best Way to Get Around Venice

Sometimes rowing is just a matter of being practical, not picturesque
Having recently seen a friend struggle unsuccessfully to start the newish outboard motor of a beautiful old wooden boat she recently bought, I'm freshly convinced that the above (taken today) remains the best mode of transportation in this town. And, as the picture shows, doing without a motor gives you extra space for a couple of large bottles of orange soda and a paint brush.

4 comments:

  1. I would love, love, love to voga, but I think the 2 oar style would forever be beyond me.

    Perhaps you can teach Sandro someday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know, with a little practice you might really take to the 2 oar style. In my very limited experience of it I strangely found it less exhausting than rowing with one oar as part of a team.

      And given the way Sandro soaks things up here, I fear he will be the one teaching me to row, even though I've got the jump on learning it.

      Delete
  2. That photo aroused such a feeling of tranquility in me. Thank you, I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean: tooling around in a little motorboat seems pretty relaxing itself, but making your way on the water with just oars (or just imagining doing so) seems almost sublime.

      Delete